Want Something Light Weight and Durable? Choose Aluminum!
Ladders are hugely important, not just to domestic users, but also to various professionals. There are many different ladders available, but aluminum ladders are by far the most popular. Let’s take a look at why these ladders are so popular.
Understanding the Popularity of Aluminum Ladders
- Aluminum is widely available and easy to recycle. It is lightweight, rust resistant, and fire resistant. It is also really strong, meaning it won’t crack or warp.
- Its durability means it lasts for years, which means it is a really cost effective solution. Yes, they are more expensive than their wooden counterparts, but they don’t have to be replaced as often, so they are actually cheaper overall.
- Aluminum is quite flexible, which means it can be used in many different ladder shapes.
Types of Aluminum Ladders
There are lots of different types of aluminum ladders available on the market. Some of the most popular ones are:
- The extension ladder, which enables people to work at different heights. The top of the ladder leans against a wall, and the bottom is away from it, stabilizing the structure.
- The platform ladder, which looks like a V put upside down. These have a wide top, where tools and other supplies can be placed. These ladders are easy to store because they fold up.
- The roof style ladder, which is equipped with hooks that hang on the roof, keeping it stable. This makes working on a pitched roof much safer. They usually have wheels on the bottom for easy moving.
- The combination style ladder, which is seen in businesses and homes alike, because it is so versatile. It is easy to snap it into a range of arrangements. Plus, it folds up for easy storage.
- The scaffolding ladder, which is generally only used on construction sites. These have various sections and are really big, allowing multiple people to work on them at the same time.
Ladders are always dangerous, because they are used to work on a height. You have to be aware of the dangers in order to be safe. As such:
- Don’t use an aluminum ladder near electric wires, as aluminum is a conductor.
- Look after the metal properly so it doesn’t bend or rust.
- Check the length and weight rating and don’t exceed those.
Accessories for Aluminum Ladders
To really get the most out of your aluminum ladder, you could consider a number of accessories, including:
- A platform that sits on one of the runs, so that you can keep your tools and equipment safely near you.
- A tray to place on the top, which can hold buckets and tools.
- A stay to stop it from butting the wall, which is particularly useful if you are working on gutters or eaves.
Last but not least, if you own an aluminum ladder, make sure that you maintain it properly. Maintenance is very easy to do and not labor-intensive, but very important. Make sure you regularly check the ladder, paying particular attention to the hinges.